Tuesday, 12 March 2013

Fingerprints and a flutter of wings



Books are unique magical objects. Every one becomes transformed through the act of reading, by holding, by the action of fingerprints and yes, blood, ash, candlewax. The hardback edition of The Red Goddess was deliberately bound in white cloth so that it marked. It was designed to play with the ideas of virginity, despoliation, and what we consider to be sacred. We think both laterally and symbolically through every aspect of the process. Our practice is not confined to a circle.

Books, like their readers accrue blemishes, are marked by time. We take this all into consideration in the design process and push the limits of what is possible with all our editions.

For Apocalyptic Witchcraft we chose a textured linen cloth, deliberately blocking across it with heavy white doves that we knew would take flight over the lifetime of the book. White and black blocking is notorious for this, as are large expanses of design. If we had elected a smoother cloth this would lessen the risk of migration. We had test copies pressed. However, what we have found is that some copies lose their doves a little faster than we would like, so we have chosen to retrospectively issue a dust jacket for them bearing the same design but pressed onto a rich ebony paper. We usually eschew such a covering, but in this instance we think it is necessary and have used a suitably organic material. We would simply like the striptease to take a little longer.

As a result, all newly ordered copies will come with a dustjacket. Those who have pre-ordered and signed books and those who have bought subsequently will be sent dustjackets on request, or with their next book order, as they prefer and at our personal expense. This has also delayed us sending out any bookshop copies which we hope to ship next week.

The fine edition is fully subscribed. We are just waiting on the hand-made endpapers to be delivered. We expect the Of the Crows edition to be sent in April. As per usual we will send out personal emails with updates on the fine edition to those who have ordered them.

More news on the paperback edition, which is scheduled for the 1st April, will follow and our website, blog and twitter will be updated as soon as we have copies in stock.

On a final note, we have been very moved by the responses that the book is creating, our opinion is that this is an important book for witchcraft as a whole, and that is being borne out by the correspondence we've received.

6 comments:

Farkost said...

Aha! I wrapped my Red Goddess in greaseproof paper...

Farkost said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Scarlet Imprint said...

Kinky!

IMAC AUSTRALIA said...

Interesting... I had noticed the doves were leaving little white marks all over my hands as I read the book. At first,I was slightly shocked by the idea of the images disintergrating, but knowing the work that goes into the creation of these volumes, I quite liked the idea of my own hands being marked or branded by the doves and the idea that the further I got through the book, the more markings I would carry, as if each chapter left it's own initiatory stamp upon my hands. We all know Scarlet Imprint's books can fetch quite a hefty price tag once they are sold out. But the idea of preserving a copy for such purposes seems at odds with the nature of the content. I would much prefer a tattered, living copy infused with my own experiences and fingerprints than a pristine dead edition sitting in plastic awaiting a resale.

LostRebel said...

I sleeped with the bog and the next day I found out that half of the white blocking had disintegrated, and been left on my chest and bed. I was shocked in the start, but now it doesn't matter. The only thing that is a problem with it is that I read on my bed, and after each read I have to dust off the white stuff from my bed. An annoyance I plan to eliminate by removing the rest of the white from the book with a wet cloth. The more ragged looks of the book, to me, only seem to boosts the particular energy of the book, and it goes well with the fact that the book is in rough linen. I love that! A dustcover would only cover up and limit the energy of this book, I feel. This dove want's to fly free, nude and powerful, so I'll keep it the way it is. Unhindered. As for the book's contend. Man, this one is amazing. This book is changing my world. I emmidately knew that this book would be something special, and I intend to use it in my rituals, as a compass so I remain true to my own path, in case I get lost in the adventure and can't find myself. I think that the further in the forrest you get, the easier it is to become lost. I don't know if there is a proper term for it, but I call it my anchor. Thank you so much for this book! Sorry, if this was too long.

Christina said...

I noticed quite a bit of the white coming off, which I wondered about, but no bother... I became even less concerned after my cat decided he enjoyed the book and sharpened his claws in it, leaving pricks on the pages. A dust jacket will be nice to house it in in the future.